Sunday, June 7, 2009

people still clap when airplanes land.

a month and a half ago i went to portugal.


fuck me for not writing about it sooner. but as i finish purchasing plane tickets for my trip to disney in august, i guess it's a fitting time to bring up my april trip.

the last time i visited my family in p-town was almost 6 years ago. my grandparents had their
50th wedding anniversary, and i had to miss two weeks of football summer practices. i was pissed.

i used to go every summer, so at that point in my life, missing a trip wasn't that huge of a deal... well every summer quickly turned into 6 years. the reason for that being is that i just couldn't make it on the same trips as my parents went. as time went on, those things that happen to grandparents started to happen. people got sick, sons and
daughters needed to visit in short notice. there have been no death, just issues that had to be dealt with. you know how it is.

well now it worked out that my dad was going... but i didn't want to. my grandma has alzheimer's now and i just didn't want to see it. selfish, i know. my sister had gone and she didn't make it sound promising. i was pretty afraid. it was just me and my dad, so my first week off since i started working full-time was shaping up to be depressing and very boring. i know that sounds shallow, and it is a little bit. i just couldn't immagine making that trip and coming back to work so drained afterward. but now i'm really glad i went.


i'm not going to talk about how much i think ilearned or what it was like to see my grandma like that, because too much time has past and i guess it's not really all that important to anyone
other than myself. i can say that i got a lot out of spending that week with my dad, seeing my grandparents and just revisiting so much of where i spent those summers.

i will say that it meant a lot to me. it was exactly what i needed at that time in my life. i left so stressed out and not looking forward to my trip. i got back feeling really refreshed and had an annoyingly positive outlook on life.

don't worry thats calmed down by now.

but i do want to talk about something. anyone who has flown has experienced the "we landed lets clap" thing. this has always pissed me off. we didn't see a live performance, no one just played the 1812 overture for us. it always just felt overly cheesy to me.

well i dunno. i'm slightly inspired here by louis c.k.'s appearance on conan in this one.

but yeah i guess it is a good reason to clap. we just flew in a fucking plane from europe to america in 6 stupid hours. and i realize that it's so easy to get really cynical and not just appreciate what we have for it's amazingness. and yeah this
is a little stupid and cheesy, but suck my balls it's how i freakin felt and it's true.

i'm still gonna get pissed when i get stuck in traffic, or when the yankees lose a game. but it's good to just be reminded of these things sometimes.

but now its almost 2 months later. it's summer, and when it stops raining, it's beautiful. some of my closest friends in the world are getting closer to me. i'm getting more and more excited about improv. i've got some potential choices to make about my life and i feel pretty good about it.


but for now my laptop is making my legs sweaty. so i'm probably going to stop trying to sound enlightened

holding for applause.

No comments:

Post a Comment